Time to Take Action
Our Klamath Basin Water Crisis
Upholding rural Americans' rights to grow food,
own property, and caretake our wildlife and natural resources.


Oregon refuge occupier pleads guilty; Bundys stay in jail

Herald and News 7/20/16

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) A military veteran accused of taking leadership roles in two armed standoffs involving federal authorities pleaded guilty Tuesday in Oregon to a conspiracy charge and is expected to do the same involving charges in Nevada, prosecutors said.

Meanwhile, a federal judge decided to keep brothers Ammon and Ryan Bundy behind bars as they await their September trial in Portland on conspiracy charges.

The brothers have been accused of leading the standoffs at a wildlife refuge in Oregon and their family ranch in Nevada.

At the federal courthouse in Portland, Ryan Payne of Anaconda, Montana, acknowledged that he conspired with others to prevent Interior Department employees from doing their jobs this winter during the occupation of the Malheur National Wildfire Refuge.

In a plea deal that included talks with prosecutors in Nevada, the U.S. attorney's office in Oregon recommended that Payne's likely 3-year prison sentence run at the same time as the punishment he could receive for his role in a 2014 standoff with federal agents at a Nevada ranch owned by Cliven Bundy, Assistant U.S. Attorney Craig Gabriel said.

In Nevada, the deal calls for Payne to plead guilty to three charges, with one involving the brandishing of a firearm that carries a mandatory minimum sentence of seven years, Gabriel said.

Nevada prosecutors plan to recommend 12 years in prison, and Payne's defense will push for less, Gabriel said.

Payne, 32, told U.S. District Court Judge Anna J. Brown in Portland that his first adult decision was joining the military, where he took an oath to uphold the Constitution.

Payne said he came to Oregon last year to do that by defending two ranchers he believes were wrongly imprisoned for setting fires.

He and others, including Ammon and Ryan Bundy, occupied the refuge from Jan. 2 until their arrests nearly a month later. A few holdouts continued the armed protest until Feb. 11.

"In pursuing that effort, I have come to understand that folks who work for the government perceived my actions as intimidating and threatening," Payne said in court.

Payne was arrested during a traffic stop while traveling with Arizona rancher Robert "LaVoy" Finicum and others to a community meeting off the refuge.

Payne complied with officers and left the vehicle. Finicum and the others drove away, and Finicum was fatally shot by authorities at a roadblock.

Gabriel said Payne, the eighth man to plead guilty in the Oregon case, took a leadership role in the occupation, coordinating armed guards and providing tactical training.

He is scheduled to be sentenced Nov. 18 but that date could get pushed back based on developments in Nevada, where authorities say Payne recruited gunmen and led an armed assault on federal officers who attempted to round-up the Bundys' cattle near Bunkerville.


In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, any copyrighted material herein is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Home Contact


              Page Updated: Tuesday July 26, 2016 12:51 AM  Pacific

             Copyright klamathbasincrisis.org, 2001 - 2016, All Rights Reserved