Our Klamath Basin Water Crisis
Upholding rural Americans' rights to grow food,
own property, and caretake our wildlife and natural resources.
Subject: Presidential Proclamation 8067 Modify
Rules of Origin Under NAFTA
October 13, 2006 (Volume 71, Number 198)] [Presidential Documents] [Page 60649-60655] From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov] [DOCID:fr13oc06-131] Presidential Documents Proclamation 8067 of October 11, 2006
To Modify Rules of Origin Under the North American Free Trade Agreement By the President of the United States of America
1. Presidential Proclamation 6641 of December
15, 1993, implemented the North American Free
2. Section 202 of the NAFTA Implementation Act (19 U.S.C. 3332) provides rules for determining whether goods imported into the United States originate in the territory of a NAFTA party and thus are eligible for the tariff and other treatment contemplated under the NAFTA. Section 202(q) of the NAFTA Implementation Act (19 U.S.C. 3332(q)) authorizes the President to proclaim, as a part of the HTS, the rules of origin set out in the NAFTA and to proclaim modifications to such previously proclaimed rules of origin, subject to the consultation and layover requirements of section 103(a) of the NAFTA Implementation Act (19 U.S.C. 3313(a)).
3. The United States, Canada, and Mexico have agreed to modifications to certain NAFTA rules of origin. Modifications to the NAFTA rules of origin reflected in general note 12 to the HTS are therefore necessary.
4. Section 604 of the Trade Act of 1974, as amended(the ``1974 Act'') (19 U.S.C. 2483), authorizes the President to embody in the HTS the substance of the relevant provisions of that Act, and of other acts affecting import treatment, and actions thereunder, including the removal, modification, continuance, or imposition of any rate of duty or other import restriction. NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, acting under the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, including section 604 of the 1974 Act and section 202 of the NAFTA Implementation Act, do hereby proclaim:
(1) In order to reflect in the HTS
modifications to the rules of origin under the
NAFTA, general note 12 to the HTS is modified as
provided in the Annex to this proclamation.
(2) The modifications made by this proclamation
shall be effective with respect to goods of Canada
or of Mexico, under the terms of general note 12
to the HTS, that are entered, or withdrawn from
warehouse for consumption, on or after July 1,
(3) Any provisions of previous proclamations and Executive Orders that are inconsistent with the actions taken in this proclamation are superseded to the extent of such inconsistency. IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this eleventh day of October, in the year of our Lord two thousand six, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-first.
Page Updated: Thursday May 07, 2009 09:14 AM Pacific
Copyright © klamathbasincrisis.org, 2006, All Rights Reserved