Our Klamath Basin Water Crisis
Upholding rural Americans' rights to grow food,
own property, and caretake our wildlife and natural resources.
Klamath Tribes approve KBRA
Herald and News 1/20/10
CHILOQUIN — The Klamath Tribes voted Tuesday to support a final version of a water agreement and a plan to remove four Klamath River dams to restore fish passage.
Tribal members voted overwhelming to support the Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement and the Klamath Hydroelectric Settlement Agreement..
“This is good news not only for the Tribes, but for the Basin community,” said Klamath Tribes Chairman Joe Kirk in a statement sent to news media. “It is a step toward ending decades of strife, and moving toward a sustainable future for us all.”
The Tribes are among dozens of stakeholders who have until Feb. 9 to review and decide whether to support the 369-page restoration agreement before it goes to lawmakers to secure legislation and funding.
Tribes, farmers, ranchers, environmentalists and fishermen, as well as state and federal governments, spent years negotiating the water agreement, which aims to resolve water disputes in the Klamath River watershed and provide affordable power to irrigators. It also supports the Tribes acquiring the Mazama Tree Farm in northern Klamath County.
Tribal member Jeff Mitchell said the tree farm is in the northwest corner of the Tribes’ former reservation.
“This is a significant economic development opportunity for us and throughout the county,” he said.
Tribes vote on water agreement
Stakeholders have until Feb. 9 to decide if they support KBRA
By TY BEAVER, Herald and News 1/21/10
Nearly 35 percent of the roughly 3,700 enrolled members of the Klamath Tribes participated in a vote that determined the Tribes’ support of the Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement and a related dam removal document.
Ballots were mailed to tribal members in early January, a few days before final negotiations were concluded. The ballots were counted Tuesday.
Tribal leaders said no changes that would impact voting were expected to the document.
“We were pretty much under a tight deadline,” said tribal chairman Joe Kirk.
Stakeholders who worked on the restoration agreement have until Feb. 9 to decide whether to support the document, though an actual signing date has yet to be determined. The document will then be presented to federal lawmakers for legislation.