Guest Opinion by By
Nita Still, Montaguem Pioneer Press March 4, 2009
Karuks Tribal leaders' lawsuits, environmentalists and dam removal
Let us consider the things which are now on going:
1. Some of the Karuk Indians have been talked into taking out the
dams by Craig Tucker who is a "Friend of the River," as well as
with some other environmental group.
2. Tucker has led them to believe that it is the four dams which
are killing the fish, as well as the dredging. Historically the
Klamath Indians went south on the Klamath River to catch their
Salmon as the fish were too bruised to be eatable closer the
Klamath Falls. Besides, at Iron Gate area, the salmon had already
swum one hundred and ninety miles from the ocean, sometimes in
shallow and warm water that was in the Klamath River.
3. Tucker just filed an umpteenth law suit, Feb, 5, 09, on behalf
of the Karuk Indians, against the Fish and Game to stop the
dredging in the river, for it is "killing the Salmon," when
conditions in the ocean are to blame. The same thing is happening
on the east coast with the Salmon.
4. Now, Felice Pace wants to take out the natural Keno Dam as it
would prevent salmon from getting into Klamath Lake. When, if the
other dams were torn down, there would be no Klamath Lake.
5. The Forest Service is closing a lot of roads.
6. Taking out the dams would mean the removal of all homes up near
Copco Lake, thereby eradicating a lot of humans in that whole area
and in a sense rewilding it.
7. How can the Indians be lacking salmon when they have nets
strung across the river near the mouth of the river and are
catching so many of the salmon just swimming in? They should be
catching quite a few fish!
8. The "Friends of the River" have twenty-one dams in all of
California they want removed.
9. Nature Conservancy is buying up ranch and farm lands, wherever
they can and creating wilderness areas or selling it to the
Federal Gov. for parks.
10. No dams, no Klamath Lake, no dredging, no electricity, no
roads; the Klamath will just be a so called "trickle" in the
summer and flooding can happen in the winter. No homes, no more
Copco, only wilderness areas. Perhaps no more Montague, Yreka,
Gazelle, Grenada and etc.
11. The Klamath Basin Agreement was done in secret and loaded with
a lot of Wildlanders who helped write it. It is NO AGREEMENT. As a
"Stakeholder", I do not agree with it. In that document they said,
"All Stakeholders agree with this." That is a lie!
12. "We will Re-Wild America within fifty years!" So said the
Wildlanders which are combined crowds of all the Environmental
Groups. I read that on their site.
13. If Craig Tucker and some of the Karuks and others have it
their way, they will Re-Wild Siskiyou County even sooner. The
Endangered Species Act will kill what humans are left or they will
have to move to Redding to live in Smart Growth buildings on top
of each other, and as Gore implies, we will import our food from
other countries, if Global Warming doesn't get us first. I do know
that these Wildlanders are not immortal nor are they moral!