Our Klamath Basin Water Crisis
Upholding rural Americans' rights to grow food,
own property, and caretake our wildlife and natural resources.
Supervisor's Forest Workshop
by Marcia Armstrong, Siskiyou County District 5, 5/12/06
On April 25, the Board of Supervisors hosted its first all-day workshop on the National Forest and Local Economies. This was a day set aside to take stock of where we were, where we need to be and some possibilities about how to get there.
If not reauthorized by Congress, PL 106-393 - The Secure Rural Schools and Community Self Determination Act is scheduled to sunset this year. The workshop opened with presentations on the impact that that this will have on local schools and our County Road Department. Representatives from local schools detailed the $4 million in revenue that will be lost to local schools. Larry Alexander, Chairman of the Siskiyou County Resource Advisory Committee (RAC) spoke about all the projects that had been funded in local Forests and surrounding communities with PL 106-393 monies. Loss of this funding source will impact local Fires Safe Councils and other organizations.
With a default to timber receipts, future total annual revenues would be $6,250,000. This would come from: the $250,000 timber receipts; an increase in TEA 21 funds to $1,100,000; a possible increase of Prop. 42 funds to $1,500,000; and gas taxes, staying at the same level of $3.4 million. This means an annual revenue deficit of $2,635,000 from current levels. It is obvious that this will severely impact our ability to maintain roads.
The workshop also examined the close relationship
that local communities have to use of the National
Forest. A study was done in 2004 to look at the
social and economic impacts on the communities of
Forester Steve Hensen from Roseburg Forest
Products indicated that today
The Klamath National Forest (KNF) grows 654 million board feet (mbf) of timber in a year. We are currently harvesting only 15 mbf of saw logs a year. That means that we are harvesting only 3% of the growth and leaving 97% to accumulate each year. The KNF hopes to increase harvest to 44 mbf per year by 2007. At the cost of preparing a sale, they would need 120 mbf harvested each year to get $2-4 million in timber receipts.
Forester Bill Turner from Timber Products
presented a graph showing KNF harvest levels over
the years. Many times the graph dropped due to
lawsuits by environmentalists. Turner said that it
is becoming increasingly more difficult to find
timber to supply the mills. In the region stretching
Last year, Timber Products got only 12% of
its logs from the National Forest. In the four years
prior to that they got 80% of their logs from the
National Forest. Currently, more timber logs are
A future column will discuss some of the
opportunities for participation in processes for
managing federal lands and various strategies
presented at the
Page Updated: Thursday May 07, 2009 09:14 AM Pacific
Copyright © klamathbasincrisis.org, 2005, All Rights Reserved